Call for Proposals
Co-presented with Raw Finery
In partnership with Raw Finery, a hybrid fashion and technology lab situated in Toronto’s downtown core, Subtle Technologies announces its inaugural artist-in-residency program: VISAR, or the Virtual Reality and Immersive Storytelling Artist Residency. Positioned as a project animator, this 6-month residency will allow an individual media artist to explore the critical potential of virtual reality technologies through the creation of a public art piece that fuses video games, fashion design and wearable technology.
As virtual reality looks to become the new standard in video game entertainment the experience of immersion promises to also become associated with daily life. Artists have an important role at this point in time to adapt and reframe such visioning technologies for socially and politically-engaged uses—creating alternative realities that disrupt the status quo and offer non-commercial experiences. Scholarship on the value of “ludic technologies”, or technologies for play, has also shed light on the powerful potential of gaming for casual learning and collaboration. With this in mind, the VISAR program asks makers with media backgrounds to consider new modes of narrative and storytelling that prioritize the virtual body, the fluidity of digital space and fashion-as-interface.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a project proposal using the submission guidelines listed below. The successful resident will be provided with access to studio space, financial support for necessary hardware and software, on-site technical resources and creative consultation for the duration of their project, including the exhibition of their finished work.
Anticipated dates of the residency are April 1st to October 31st, 2017.
Interested applicants should submit the following items:
- A project proposal (1 page) that outlines:
- the conceptual goals of the project
- the anticipated technical scope of the project
- how this residency will advance the applicant’s practice
- An up-to-date CV (max. 3 pages) including mailing address and phone number
- A recent artist statement (1 page)
- A selection of recent work that supports and relates to the project proposal, including (but not limited to) previous VR projects, video games, 3D animation, 3D renderings and wearable technology prototypes:
- minimum of 4 works, maximum of 8
- for video and online works, please provide hyperlinks
- maximum size of 30 MB
Compile all application materials into a single PDF document or a compressed ZIP folder and upload here:
DEADLINE: Midnight, October 20th, 2016.
Applicants will be notified of a decision by October 31st, 2016.
Eligibility and Restrictions
- Applicants must be actively practicing artists with a background in media arts, game design or computer animation.
- Applicants must be currently residing within Canada.
- The successful candidate will receive 12 hours of studio access per week over the course of the 6-month residency.
- Lodging and meals are not provided as part of the residency.
- Proposed activities must coincide with the dates and length of the residency.
Raw Finery Studio is an oasis for designers and fashion industry professionals. We believe in community, creativity, & innovation. We have created an inclusive space where artists and designers from diverse but complimentary disciplines can come together to form new connections. Our flexible and multi-purpose space provides members with a modern high tech production and design studio where they can take their creations from conception through to completion. Located in the heart of downtown Toronto with panoramic views of the city skyline, the over 3000 sq ft open-concept space is the perfect location for professionals to network and hone their craft.